Saturday, August 8, 2009

Temuco

The day started with walking the few hundred yards to the main road to wait for the bus. This is something I have never encountered. I am aware you can stop a bus in the city and get on, even if it is not a bus stop. I know of no place in the US where you can stand on a highway between towns and flagdown the bus. So after allowing the JAC bus to pass we flagged the rural bus (it is cheaper) and boarded. Arriving in Temuco we got off at what we assumed to be an appropriate place, orientated ourselves, and set off in what we hoped to be the correct direction. We located the tourist office and acquired a map. This is a good thing to have. hehehehe. We did some shopping and had lunch. I learned that latin american women have small feet. I wear a size 41(eur) . Not only do they not carry this size anywhere, but I actually had a guy look at me and say, " 41, MUCHO GRANDE." This proves that Latin american men also say stupid things to women. We purchased a 50 liter pack, stopped at the market and headed for the bus terminal. Spotting the man hollaring Villarrica we approached him at which point he directed us to the small office where we could buy our tickets and told us the bus would be there in 5 minutes. After the passangers boarded and the seats were full we set off. I was soon to understand that when a bus's seats are full it is only half full. We stopped 3 more time before leaving Temuco for the 1 hour trip to Villarrica. There were people everywhere, even a few sitting on the dash. We arrive at our stopped and realized in the future we should take a flashlight, if we vplan to arrive home after dark. Luckily, my brother happened along in the truck at exactly that moment. Thanks bro.

No comments:

Post a Comment