Monday, June 1, 2009

Food

What is food like in Chile.....
The meat is incredible lean. I have not gotten used to how lean it is. I always bought the 93% lean, but this stuff is LEAN! I made burgers the other day. Problem is I expected them to cook down a bit, wrong. I go to the meat market and pick a piece of meat at which`point the man trims th fat then ask me if I what it left whole or sliced into steaks. This is very neat. As for veggies and fruit. We have found a fruit stand with the most amazing fuji apples. They are huge, bigger than soft balls and taste like someone soaked them in sugar water. They are fabulous. I eat alot of pumpkin. Here they are whitish not orange. You go to the market and ask them to cut off a piece. Red and Green bell peppers are the same price here. They have a red pepper which is similar a red bell pepper except it is shaped like a tear drop and about the size of a large lemon. They are much sweeter then a regular bell pepper. Tomatoes and avacados are very popular. We do not eat out much. If you order a hamburger in Villarica you will get just that, a cooked hamburger patty. In Santiago things are a bit different. There are fast food resturants. McDonalds, Burger King, KFC, Etc. In Temuco I saw a McDonalds, but no fast food in Villarica. It is ok because every place, but the retsurants closes for about 2 hours for everyone to go to lunch. Then they stay open late. The bread here is fresh yummy and addictive.

1 comment:

  1. Katie,
    Amazing. I just read back through all your posts since DC. You are my hero! Hang in there--what an adventure--and all w/o Ken. You are Wonder Woman with children. Keep up the blogging--it's great reading. Take care;I will be praying for you!
    Denise

    ReplyDelete