Wednesday, May 13, 2009

In Chile....Getting There

The Kids and I have made it to Chile. Thursday Morning we caught a flight out of Dallas to Miami. Our flight was 1h and 45 min. delayed and I only had a 2 h layover in Miami. Needless to say, we missed our next flight. Although I did force the children to run like crazy through the airport. Theodore almost threw up and they were both sheet white when we made it to the airline who informed us it was too late. This was almost 5pm. So back to AA to wait in line forever. I do not know if it was because I had 2 pittiful looking kids with me or what, but AA was very good to us. They put us on a direct flight to Santiago that night at 11:25pm. They also gave us a food vochure for supper. So we arrive in Santiago early Friday Morning. Manage our way through imigration. Get some pecos and a taxi. The taxi of course does not take me to the bus station I ask it to. Anyways we book a bus to Villarica for 10:40 that night. So what does an exhausted woman with 2 kids and some back packs do in Santiago alllllllllll day? Oh I did not have to worry about the rest of our luggage, it did not make it onto the plane with us. We wonder mindlessly for a couple of hours, get a snack, finally find a mall, which I am convinced must have wifi. Finally find the wifi, check email. Hang out experience the pay public bathroom. Then we had some incredible icecream and later a bit to eat for supper. It was getting dark and I had been warned Santiago was dangerous so back to the bus station. Because that seemed so much safer hehehehe, not! We hang out and read and wait, till finally we can get on the bus. I am sooooooooooo completely exhausted at this point, but afraid to fall asleep.

A few initial observations. I HATE SANTIAGO!!!! If I never have to go back there great!
These people have a strange hypocracy about cleanliness. There public bathrooms have a full time person in them cleaning (you do have to pay to use them) but thier streets are filthy. I will say I have not seen a fly or misquito. Lots of places are open air, which you would think would be a problem but there are not bugs flying around. Santiago reminds me of DC only ugly and poor. It is loud and dirty. I need never go back. Also I think they woke up one day and realized they were heavily populated and now they are playing a losing game of catch up.
These people LOVE sugar and ice cream. Although, the ice cream is excellent. It was interesting to order food and not be absolutely sure what you are getting. It has been an adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment